Saturday, July 11, 2009

Mahalo for Honeymoons: Traveling to The Big Island



So the wedding is officially over... but we ended the amazing experience with the best trip of our lives! It helps that A) it was our honeymoon and B)that we were in Hawaii for almost 2 weeks. We went to The Big Island, which from what I understand is one of the least traveled islands in Hawaii and let's keep it that way!

It's like discovering a private island! So much to see and so much to do! We could have spent 2 months! I kept a little journal of what did each day, so I could remember everything and hey, you might want to go sometime!
So here we go! I'm going to do a post for each day to keep 'em shorter!

Day 1 (July 1): Traveling to The Big Island

Our flight left at 10am from Atlanta and we connected through LAX. Of course I had to use my "Just Married" luggage tag that my mother-in-law gave me! It was kind of crazy to pass 10am in other time zones as we flew over then! I'll never really used to the whole time change thing. Anyways, the flight to LAX was awesome, a huge plane so I was totally cool!

Then the flight from LAX to Kona was a smaller plane, but a really smooth and surprising short 5 hour flight. I say short because it really went fast! I'm pretty sure that's because I was more excited than a 2 year old on Christmas Day!
As we approached the island you could see the top of Mauna Kea! It's summit is over 14,000 feet above sea level and way above the clouds!

So we landed in paradise at 4ish there time. This is what their airport looks like! It's all outside! That is when you know you're in paradise... check in and baggage claim, even the gates were all outside!

We picked up our jeep (which will later become a bad decision) but at the time we were pumped!

We headed to the grocery store to get food for the few days we'd be at the bungalow and then headed about 30 minutes south to the "Banana Bungalow"!

It was about a 5 minute off-road, bumpy ride up to the bungalow! It was literally in the middle of nowhere! Kind of creeped me out... but a very cool welcome to Hawaii!


That was the end of day 1! After the long day of travel, we totally crashed!

No comments: